Friday, May 6, 2011

Chapter Two - Part 2 - Ilyana's Plight


There was the rasping sound of a heavy bolt being drawn back, and then the farmhouse door opened. A half-elf woman of middle years stepped out carrying a battered old crossbow. Two boys of fifteen or so stood behind her inside the house. The woman looked around the farmyard, frowning at the bloodshed, and sighed.

"My thanks, strangers," She said, "Those Iron Circle jackals came to rob us. I barred my door but they said they would burn the house right down with me and my boys in it. You saved our lives but...who are you?"

Rayne stepped up to answer, "I am Rayne, and this is Lirael and XIII, our Daemon companion, is outside...eating. We were simply traveling a way down the road and saw smoke rising from this direction and heard someone screaming. So we cam to see what all the commotion was about. Who were those guys, again? And why were they attacking you?"

"The Iron Circle," She began to explain, "They're a bunch of sellswords and cutthroats who seized Harkenwold a little over a month ago. They've got Baron Stockmer imprisoned in his own keep, and they've been plundering the land ever since. They say they're collecting taxes but it's robbery, pure and simple."

She stepped aside and motioned for them to enter her home, "My name is Ilyana, by the way. And these are my sons, Jarek and Jarl. My husband is...dead. The reavers killed Karthen when they invaded...But we have been getting by, I suppose."


Lirael had a spark of a thought, "Hm, perhaps if we help the people of these poor lands, we may reap the benefits of a hero's reward..."

"Is there anything we could do?" Rayne asked her.

"The folk of Harkenwold are ready to rebel - we just need a spark to set things off. I think you should talk to old Reithann, the druid, or maybe Dar Gremath if you want to help. They'll know what needs doing. Reithann lives in Druid's Grove just north of Albridge, where Dar Gremath lives. But I would go carefully if I were you."

Lirael pulled Rayne aside and said, "This sounds like we will soon be running errands and doing chores for these people. I say we should head straight to Harken to meet the stranger in the Broken Gaol and be on our way. Let these people solve their own problems."

Ilyana interupted, "No, please, avoid Harken Village. There are too many Iron Circle soldiers there. The Baron's keep is in Harken and that's where they've made headquarters. A strange looking group like you three would not go unnoticed there."

XIII walked into the house without bothering to knock or announce his arrival as Lirael heaved a sigh and replied, "Fine, woman, we will sleep on the idea. Do you think we could possibly recuperate from our scuffle outside in your humble abode?"

"You're more than welcome to stay," She informed them, "However, I only have room for one of you to stay in the house, and I don't think I want that blood-covered, sickly looking one with the horns sleeping in here... But you may feel free to make use of the barn outside for shelter as well."

"You cannot make room for three of your saviors to sleep under your roof?" Lirael asked, as if appalled.

"I am sorry, but I have to growing young lads. There just simply isn't room for all of you..."

"I will sleep in the barn," Rayne said and he bade her goodnight and stepped outside.

"Also, woman, I am wondering if you may have any ale on you? Besides, it is the least you could do before sending us off to fight your battles for you after we have just won one."

Ilyana scoffed, "Fine, you may drink all the ale I have. Just so long as that means you will go to Albridge to meet Dar Gremath or Reithann." She handed him a hefty bottle of ale, which he began to guzzle immediately.

"I will not make you promises," Lirael remarked, "But I suppose it is on the way of our destination...But, no! I said we would sleep on the idea. When we have had sufficient rest and the three of us have discussed it together, we will decide whether or not we will meet with your Dar Gremath and Druid."

"How ungrateful..." XIII finally chimed in, "We just saved your lives and this is the way you treat us?" And with that he stormed out the door.

Just then, Lirael sent his thoughts through the air into XIII's mind, saying, Scour the area, XIII. We will make this victory worth our while.

"I must agree, woman," Said Lirael, "Could you not spare a little more hospitality for the charity we provided today?"

"I apologize, eladrin," Ilyana replied defensively, "But it's just that I can't trust anyone anymore. My husband is dead and I have to take care of this farm and my two boys here all by myself."

"But we killed the men who were attacking you. Isn't that enough to trust us?"

"It was a noble thing, indeed, but you have also made it clear that all you care about are the rewards offered for whatever you do. You might have less trouble killing me than those men out there if it would pay off well enough..."

Lirael crossed his arms, "Hmph...well at least we are honest about our motives..."

"I realize, and so I think it would be worth your while to go to Albridge. Dar Gremath and even Baron Stockmer are sure to richly reward you if you were to drive away the reavers and free the Baron. They could offer you much more than I could, I assure you."

Thoroughly intoxicated, Lirael walked over and set the empty bottle of ale down on the table. Looking at Ilyana, he said, "I find you to be very attractive, despite everything, you know."

Ilyana folded her arms crossly, "I am still mourning my husband, fellow. I don't want any advances."

Lirael put his hands up in defense, "I was doing no such thing. I only meant that I admire your ferocity. You are tough. Bowed, but unbroken."

With that he decided to leave her be and join the other in resting in the barn. XIII informed the other two that he was going to sleep outside under the tree. On his way across the yard he replaced some of the vegetables that he stole from the garden, feeling slightly something he might not have ever felt before: guilt.

In the morning, they gathered once again to discuss matters and decided upon visiting Albridge after all. They went and knocked on Ilyana's door to inform her of their decision.

She raised a hand to her heart and said, "That would be doing a great service to this country, friends. Here, please take this food. It's not much, but...I'm sorry I don't have more to offer you. You did such a great thing for us but we have been robbed so many times that I cannot even reward you properly..."

"Keep the food, woman," Lirael said, "We have plenty of rations to get us to town. It wouldn't be worth it to take such a small amount."

Ilyana had a look of guilt upon her face. Rayne walked up to her and dropped a small satchel in her hands. She opened it to see the glimmer of gold and she looked up with shock.

"Take this," Rayne told her, "And hide this better than the silver I found in your barn."

"I can't accept this-" She said, handing it back to him. He just dropped it at her feet and began to walk away.

Lirael walked over to her and picked it up with a shrug but then suddenly, Rayne stormed over and tore it away from him and thrust it into Ilyana's hands, giving Lirael a threatening look.

They left the house and began their travel to Albridge. Lirael explained himself, "Forgive me, Rayne. But she did not want the money, I was only trying to be frugal."

"Of course she wanted the money, Lirael. They have nothing!" Replied Rayne.

Lirael sighed, "Well, I suppose it would be a waste to pay her simply to fulfill her request that we visit some man. We should try and help these people, if we are able."






[Outtakes: (before I forget them)

Lirael: "IETRUHOIESUTHNIWETUNIRUTIUWRTSSSSSSSSS..... (speaking in Infernal)"
XIII: "You're really good at speaking in tongues."
Rayne: "Should we be concerned?"
DM: "How am I gonna type that???"


DM: "blablabla....cause you're evil."
Lirael: "Whoa, whoa, whoa, what do you mean evil??"
DM: "No, I meant, I mean...that wasn't--"
Lirael: "No, I'm serious, elf. What right do you have to call us evil?!"
DM: "Michael, that was not the NPC saying that!"
Lirael: "Ohhh, okay."
XIII: "Sorry, elf, we sometimes have a disembodied voice that speaks to us...."
Rayne: "Yeah, but only us...." ]

No comments:

Post a Comment