Saturday, May 7, 2011

Chapter Two - Part 3 - New Acquaintances


The adventurers finally reached the small village of Albridge and took the rest of the day to replenish their supplies and get some rest at the Mallard Inn. XIII also decided to run an errand of his own and provide the charitable service of donating his beloved severed head to an unsuspecting home of strangers. Under the cover of darkness, XIII sneaked up to a random doorstep on the edge of town and placed the rotting hunk of bone and flesh down, leaving the pearl that he had jammed into its eye socket long ago. Then he left, pleased with his good deed, and went to sleep the night away on his bedroll just outside the door of the Inn.

In the morning they gathered together. Rayne mumbled to XIII something to the extent of, "What if it had rained last night, XIII?" But XIII ignored him.

They discussed the options they had, which were to meet with Dar Gremath or to meet with Reithann, the druid. They decided to split up; Rayne would go to Gremath Stables and Lirael and XIII would go to Druid's Grove.

So Lirael and XIII set off on their short journey northwest to the Grove while Rayne merely walked down the road to knock on the door of Dar Gremath.

A burly man of about 55 opened the door. He had long graying hair and a rough look about him.

"Haven't seen you around before. Who are ya?" Dar Gremath demanded.

Rayne introduced himself, "Greetings, sir. I am simply an adventurer who has been pointed in this direction."

"Adventurer, huh? I've had an adventure or two myself, a long time ago...Name's Dar Gremath. Now who sent ya?"

"My two comrades and I rescued a woman by the name of Ilyana the other day from a group of these so-called Iron Circle men. She requested that we travel to Albridge and she said you would be the man to go to if we wanted to help Harkenwold solve their problem with these guys."

Dar Gremath gave a hearty, "Ha!" as he stepped aside to let Rayne in the building. "She was right! I'm the one pretty much pullin' the strings in this poor excuse of a rebellion. I'm glad to see someone with some fight in 'em for once. I'm assuming you got some fight in ya if you took on a group of them reavers."

"Well, yes, alongside my two associates," Rayne admitted.

"Well good, I'm glad you're here," He said as he motioned for Rayne to take a seat, which he did. Dar Gremath spoke fast and it was compelling to listen to him, "Now listen up, let's cut to the chase. If we're going to defeat the Iron Circle, we've got to draw Redthorn out of his keep. You know who Redthorn is, don'tcha? Their captain. We need to get him angry. There's a caravan heading out to Easthill tomorrow. You and your friends could ambush 'em. Or, hell, just go to any tavern in Harkenwold. You're sure to find some reavers you could pick a fight with. But I'm sure the caravan would be worth a shot. At least then you could rob 'em for a little extra kick."

Rayne took in all of the information Gremath just threw at him and nodded, "It sounds like a simple enough plan."

"You're darn right it does. Bait that bastard Redthorn out of his keep and beat him right out of the Vale in battle. All we need is a little help to give us the advantage we need. Redthorn's got about two hundred mercenaries. When I call for the rebels to gather, we'll have a little less than that. We can take 'em but it's gonna take some teamwork...But if at all possible, it would really do us a service if you would harass some of them goons out there."

"Yes, well, I will have to discuss this with my associates," Rayne informed him, "They are meeting with the Druid right now. Ilyana also told us to speak with her."

"I see," said Dar Gremath, looking contemplative, "Well, don't be strangers now. I will always be able to use your help around here til the Iron Circle is driven back to the south!"

Rayne nodded and said his farewells before walking out the door and heading back to the Inn to wait for Lirael and XIII to return.

As they traveled to Druid's Grove, Lirael and XIII made small talk to pass the time.

"So, XIII," Lirael began, "I have always wondered about the exotic wastelands of Bael Turath. Tell me, what was your home country like?"

XIII didn't have much to say about it, "It was nothing beautiful, mostly scattered towns, a desolate area."

"It is sad to me that a country that was once so grand has been degraded to the status of desolate..." Lirael lamented, "Does it not upset you also, XIII?"

"I couldn't say," He replied thoughtfully, "I suppose I didn't really live there for very long and when I did, I couldn't care for it."

"I see..." Lirael wondered at XIII's past. But he refrained from bringing it up as the Druid's mossy old cottage came into view.

They knocked on the door and an old woman of about 80 peeked out and greeted them, "You are strangers to Harkenwold. I knew I smelled change on the wind. I am Reithann, keeper of this grove. How may I assist you?"

Lirael spoke for the two of them, "Greetings, Druid. I am Lirael and this is my friend, XIII. We met a woman a few days ago who begged us to see you and discover if there was anything we could do to help in this struggle against the Iron Circle."

"Ahh, a wise suggestion, indeed," Reithann said with a smile, "Come in, dears, come in."

Reithann led them into her small abode where she offered them tea and sat them down for conversation, "Harkenwold cannot vanquish the Iron Circle if it is divided. We cannot unite as long as the hamlet of Tor's Hold is menaced by the Toadwallow monsters. You could help Tor's Hold by dealing with the menace, and you'll free up two score stout fighters that would aid the rebellion."

"Interesting..." Said Lirael, "This is an awfully large task you are appointing to us, madam..."

Suddenly XIII spoke up, "What kinds of Druid things can you teach us in exchange for us helping you with the Toadwallow monsters?"

Reithann gave a small laugh that almost chimed, "Druid things?"

"Yes, like powers and abilities that we may use in battle...against the Iron Circle," XIII elaborated.

With a sympathetic smile of sincerity, Reithann replied, "I am sorry, child, but unless you are willing to spend months or even years here with me, I don't think we would accomplish anything together. My two young apprentices here are still hardly able to make flowers grow and they have been studying under my wing for nearly a decade now. You do not appear to me to be the type who is in tune with the primal ways of nature. Indeed, I smell the arcane in you. It would take us a very long time to teach you how to get in touch with the dirt, the air, the plants, the trees. The cat sticks to the land, you see, and the fish to water. Sometimes, over-ambition can lead to your downfall, my dear."

XIII gave a disappointed "hmph," and stood from his seat, ready to take his leave.

"Well, thank you, Druid. We will consider your words carefully. But now we must bid you farewell."

She saw them out the door kindly and with that, they were on their way.

"These Harkenwold people seem pretty inactive..." XIII commented.

Lirael agreed, "Yes, they are all too quick to boss us around. Can they handle nothing themselves?"

The two of them continued on to Albridge as quickly as possible to get some rest and relay their new information to Rayne.

No comments:

Post a Comment